September 29, 2006



This Newspaper Boys’ Top 10


I have always loved a good top 10 list. It’s probably the only thing I could stand on the David Letterman Show. At our church we even have an elder who is famous (or infamous if you ask his kids) for his top 10 lists. So, here is my top 10 list for the things I have learned over the past 7 weeks of delivering the paper.

10) I Feel the Need for Speed. Man I love going fast down those residential streets, well I just like going fast period.

9) There is no NASCAR circuit for newspaper route drivers. Much to my dismay I will always be on the local streets of the Santa Clarita Valley and I will never get to feel the experience driving on a professional track.

8) I am going to hit a rabbit. Those stinkin’ rabbits! I know during the day they are all conspiring against me. They talk about the Honda Accord that comes speeding around the corner early in the morning and disrupts whatever they are doing. I figure they just haven’t picked the Kamikaze rabbit yet.

7) Suzi has a strong right arm. Man she scares me. When she is throwing that hulking Sunday paper and I see those biceps and triceps flex…… all I can say is Wow! And don’t hit me.

6) The importance of sleep. I used to take for granted the time I had watching the inside of my eyelids, but now I value that time. I value that time as if it were a cup of highly caffeinated coffee.

5) The importance of coffee in the morning…… ok anytime. Now that I work within the realms of 4-5 hours of sleep a day I understand that nothing can replace my coffee early in the morning, in the afternoon and at night. All I can say is Java!

4) I am not the coffee snob that I once thought I was and was accused of. Yes folks I have deviated from my Peet’s or Starbuchs only stance. I now drink the sludge that is in our office in the morning. It doesn’t taste very good, but it has an active ingredient my body needs right now……… caffeine.

3) The passage in scripture about “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection” (1Cor. 9:27) brings on a whole new meaning. When you lack sleep and have to study for an upcoming bible study lesson or even in doing your own private quite times you have to train your body to stay awake. This can be difficult……… so when all else fails help your body by giving it coffee. P.S. yes I know this verse does not directly talk about delivering newspapers.

2) My wife and I are the funniest duo since Ricky and Lucy, well we probably look more like Burns and Allen. Yes Suzi and I crack each other up at least. The things we do at 3:00 am could make up a sitcom or at least a blog. Say goodnight Suzi!

1) My wife is my best friend. She is the best wife in the world. When I decided to take on this crazy task, she was right there with me. When I ground here from going out on the route because she is too tired, she is actually sad. She is the best papergirl I know. Honey you are a Godly woman for enduring the craziness of our route and following me on this wild ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww how cute. boy am i looking forward to christmas break now or what?



NOT!!!!
eeek merry christmas to me and my homework