October 2, 2006



Like Father, Like Son

When I was a kid, probably eleven or twelve years old, I used to deliver papers. It was a lot of fun then and it provided me with some pocket change to buy important stuff like baseball cards or Slurpees. Well this morning everything came full circle as my eldest son Caleb joined me for some early morning frivolity. He was able to experience throwing the paper in the rain, something his mother hasn’t experienced yet. He also had to learn the importance of throwing the paper the right way. The first couple of throws seemed to be fine, but then he started to hit the passengers mirror and the door with the paper as he released it. Sound familiar? He’s just like his mom in this aspect of his paperboy skills. So once this started to happen he adjusted his throw so that it was now going 20’ in the air and about 2’ in distance. This presented some very funny moments. One was when he threw it, the paper landed on top of a Suburban. Now you might think it would land on the edge or more towards the front, but nnooooooo. It wound up right in the middle of the roof. So now remember it is wet from the rain and I have to jump up so that I can get this paper. The last thing I want is for this guy to be driving down the 5 freeway and the car behind him to cause an accident because of a wayward newspaper. After a couple of jumps I was able to get it, but now I’m, well let’s just say, a little wet. You might think lesson learned, right? Wrong! He then puts one on top of a mini van. That one was a lot easier, probably because it was a mini van. And just like those late night infomercials, “and that’s not all……”. He then proceeds to stick, yes stick, the newspaper to the back window of an Expedition. Now I must say that is talent! He’s just lucky (to my Baptist friends reading this, yes I know, I know there is no such thing as luck, but humor me) it didn’t have an alarm. One time Caleb threw the paper on someone’s lawn so he had to go back and get it off the lawn. Well when he got back he told me that they had “good grass”. So I asked him “what’s good grass look like?” and he said “you know, like golfing grass”. So I now know if I want to practice my putting at 3:00 am I have a lawn to practice on. Overall Caleb did a great job and he accomplished his goal of not having the slowest route time (That’s my boy! Aim high!). He did tell his mother this morning that no one should make fun of her, because she has a hard job throwing those papers. Well tune in tomorrow for a little bit about how my morning goes with my youngest son, Coby, tomorrow. This ought to be good!

1 comment:

Tom Pilarski said...

Petunia,

Remember this is stil So. Cal. The chances of my wife being out there with the boys by theselves are slim and none. So we just need to pray that I stay rested and healthy. Besides when we meet in glory I will have plenty of time to rest.