September 5, 2006


Ready, Aim, Fire!!

As my wife and I were going through our route one day I was feeling a little cocky and felt like I was getting to the big time. I felt I had most of my route memorized. Just then God decided to show me that I am not the Paperboy of the month. So, I started to pick up some speed and required my wife to pick up the tempo in her throwing. O.K. now, here we pause for a minute to make a point. When I deliver papers with my wife it is all about accuracy and making sure that the right people get the paper. The few times I have gone out with guy friends of mine it'’s all about time (how fast can we go and how fast can we get done). It'’s amazing how fast you can go down a residential street at 4 am, but I digress. Back to the story, I am feeling good about myself and then I sped right by one of our houses and as I do my expert paper throwing wife tries to hit the driveway. As she is doing this she is saying my name in it'’s formal tense (Thomas!!!), which by the way is never a good thing.

I realized two things at this moment. First my wife is an excellent multi-tasker. She had the ability to throw that paper accurately and chastise me at the same time. Secondly, I wasn'’t ready for the big leagues yet. I am not yet ready to compete on NASCAR'’s paper route circuit. It was back to 5 miles per hour and making sure that I truly memorize my route. I guess the Los Angeles Times will have to wait.

At the same time my wife prides herself on trying to get our paper on top of the competitor'’s paper. So it makes laugh the hardest in the morning when she throws the paper from inside the car and hits the window frame on the car or just pegs the passenger side mirror. I truly try not to laugh, but when you are up this early sometimes you can'’t stop yourself, in fact in my case I can'’t ever stop myself.

Well maybe we'’ll get better as time goes.......more than likely not, but here'’s to hoping.

No comments: