September 6, 2006


Delivering in Style

For the past few days Suzi and I have had the privilege of using our house guests (Lisa) car to deliver the paper. We started out using our Saturn, a manual transmission, and after talking to her fiancee (Kevin) for a while he asked us if we would like to use Lisa's car because it was an automatic transmission. Now I don't know if my whining clued him in to my general dislike of delivering in a stick or if it was that my calf on my clutch leg was looking abnormally larger than the calf on my other leg. When it was all said and done we agreed to use Lisa's car. Now this is a sweet ride. It has leather interior and the seats are super comfortable, not really a good thing when your tired to begin with. It is a fully loaded Accord, perfectly sized for a couple hundred newspapers and my wife and I. Now this is pretty plush compared to some of the cars we have seen other paperboys drive. Suzi and I have seen some cars that would make you question the stability and safety of the vehicle being driven. Sounds great right? Well I thought so until one morning while I was in folding papers this young lady comes in driving a BMW. Now I don't mean a 1980's beater BMW, I mean a 2005 or 2006 535i type BMW. So I think to myself she must be one of the "honchos". Wrong! She gets her papers and starts folding them and puts them into her car. Now there is a change, a yuppie from the Santa Clarita Valley driving her pristine luxury car to do some work that us Saturn driving people do. Now if that weren't enough she also comes in wearing Ralph Lauren sweats and already has her make-up on. We must pause here for a moment so that I can remind you of the time. IT'S 2:45 AM, YOU KNOW IN THE MORNING! This young lady comes in like she is heading downtown as an attorney or something. Amazing!

So needless to say I feel like I have inferior equipment to do my job, (Lisa I really don't, this part is all made up. Suzi and I love the car.) therefore maybe, just maybe my in-laws will let me barrow their convertible Lexus to deliver the paper. Do you think that will happen? Yeah I don't either, but once again here's to hoping.

No comments: