March 12, 2008

Like Being a Kid Again


Last night the kids and I watched the Space Shuttle take off. It is truly an amazing sight to see. If you have never seen it I would recommend you do. The NASA web site normally archives the video and there are some great pictures there too. As I watched the shuttle take off there were a couple of things that came to my mind.




Fist, my family when I was a kid used to sit around the television and watch the rockets take off. That made a huge impression on me about the bravery of these men. As I was talking to my kids about it and talking through how the space capsules used to land in the ocean I just couldn't help but feel like a kid again. The visual experience is always like no other and since this was a night time launch the light show really was unbelievable. I though about the pictures I had seen as a kid from space back to earth. I remember thinking how small Earth was in comparison to space. The beauty of space has always captured my imagination.



The second thing that came to mind was the two Space Shuttles that exploded upon take off. I think at times we take for granted that these astronauts are putting their lives on the line. When you realize how much fuel the are sitting on with a flame shooting out the back end of this thing you start to realize this is no walk in the park. The commentator for the launch said that by the time the shuttle reached the top of the tower that stands next to the shuttle it will be going 100 mph. He also said that inside of 7 minutes the shuttle will be 1000 mph. That's amazing! I would some day like to drive a NASCAR car, but even that will only go 145-150 mph. 1000 mph?!?! Man that's movin'!

The second thing that came to mind was the two Space Shuttles that exploded upon take off. I think at times we take for granted that these astronauts are putting their lives on the line. When you realize how much fuel the are sitting on with a flame shooting out the back end of this thing you start to realize this is no walk in the park. The commentator for the launch said that by the time the shuttle reached the top of the tower that stands next to the shuttle it will be going 100 mph. He also said that inside of 7 minutes the shuttle will be 1000 mph. That's amazing!

Another thing was I started to think about how big our God is. I started to think about how to our finite mind a shuttle being launched into space is such an awesome thing. A good Psalm to explain what I was thinking is Psalm 19.

"The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; Their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, And their utterances to the end of the world. In them He has placed a tent for the sun, Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber; It rejoices as a strong man to run his course. Its rising is from one end of the heavens, And its circuit to the other end of them; And there is nothing hidden from its heat. The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether. They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults. Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins; Let them not rule over me; Then I will be blameless, And I shall be acquitted of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."

Our God is bigger than space, He is bigger than the Sun and He is bigger than anything our minds can fathom. Our God is everywhere at the same time. Our God knows our thoughts before we even think them. O what comfort, O what joy to have a God that is in complete control of all things.

No comments: