July 27, 2009

Verse and a Quote


Verse: "O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up;  you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it." (Psalm 139:1-6)

Quote: My vision of God is dependent upon the condition of my character. My character determines whether or not truth can even be revealed to me." Oswald Chambers
As I read this psalm in conjunction with my morning reading in the Book of Hosea this morning I couldn't help but think about what it means to have an omniscient God. To have a God that is all knowing. It struck me how our culture and some people who claim to be Christian shutter at the thought that our God would use tragedy to bring people to Himself. Reality is, He does. Our God knows when we are happy and when we are sad. He knows when we are in trial and when we are not. He knows our thoughts and our next foot steps. For a believer this is comforting and for and for a unbeliever this is horrifying. 

Some things I thought of in regards to an omniscient God are:

- Because God is Omnipresent he knows all things. When I thought about the fact that God is in all places at the same time and that He is in all of time at the same time, I thought about the fact that He must know about all my comings and goings. Because He is absent from time he knows where I've been and where I am going. That brings me comfort.

- Because God is Omnipotent He is all knowing. When I thought about the fact that God is so powerful that He controls all things, I thought about the fact that He knows all because He controls all. How comforting to know that our sovereign God controls all of time and all the events contained therein. 

- Lastly I though about how because of all of this He deserves my praise. Knowing that I find comfort in a God that knows all, is all powerful and is everywhere at the same time, should drive me to praising Him. So, I left my devotional this morning wondering, do I praise Him enough or even with my whole heart? Can I do that? Things to ponder this morning.

Peace!

No comments: