July 27, 2009

An Edwards Minute



"Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live."

 As long as I have been reading Jonathon Edwards Resolutions I have to say that this is my favorite. I like it because it is simple, but yet so deep in it's meaning. When I read this I ask myself who am I living for and who is living in me? I believe that when it comes to the word live we must ask those two questions. Our walks as believers are dictated by who lives in us and who we are living for. 

As of late I have been wondering if I live my life with all my might to the glory of God. After all I do claim to be a Christian and I do claim to have the Holy Spirit residing in me. So if this is true then when I pray in the morning, am I praying with all my might. Do I pray in a manner that shows that I am praying to a Holy and Sovereign God? When I do my devotionals in the morning am I studying and learning to the best of my ability? When I live my life each and every day am I doing it with all my might?


I think that there are days when I just sleep walk the day. I don't think one person would realize that a Christian walked by or that I have the strong beliefs I do. I believe that I am not the only Christian that does this too. I think there are many believers that sleep walk Monday through Saturday and then live life to it's Christian fullest on Sundays. There are some that make it through to Wednesdays or Thursdays, but how many of us could actually say that we lived life mightily for the Lord our whole week? I believe that this is what Jonathon Edwards is talking about here. We are to live our life mightily for the Lord while we are alive. We can not look to heaven and say I will have an eternity there to praise and worship Him. We are called to worship and praise Him here and now with our whole minds and bodies. We are to show who is alive in us while we are alive down here. 


What a challenge!

No comments: