January 15, 2008

Dude?...Dude.....Duuudddeee!!!


Ever since I was in high school my favorite word has been "Dude". I mean what other word can be used as an exclamation, a question or just as a name for a friend? One of my favorite movie quotes is from the movie "Baseketball" (if you are thinking this is a movie endorsement think again. Lame movie, good quote). It went something like this:

Coop: I'm not gonna do it, dude, end of story!
Douglas "Swish" Reemer: Dude
Coop: Dude!
Douglas "Swish" Reemer: Dude!
Coop: Dude!
Douglas "Swish" Reemer: Dude!
[Coop looks shocked]
Douglas "Swish" Reemer: Dude.
Coop: I guess you have a point.

So what is the origin of this great word? Believe it or not no one knows where this word came from. One dictionary says this: formal definition -
An Easterner or city person who vacations on a ranch in the West. Informal definition - A man who is very fancy or sharp in dress and demeanor. Slang - a man; a fellow.

OK first thing, a word that has no origin has 3 types of definitions?!? Second thing, a fellow?!? .....a fellow?!? What in the Wide World of Sports? Let me tell you that when I call someone "dude" I'm not calling him a fellow!

Now is there some times when "dude" is not appropriate. Like when my son gets so flustered that he calls his mom dude. Bad idea. Another time would be when you are about to get a ticket and you say to the cop, "Dude?"

So with that Dude, I'm outtie....

No comments: