August 3, 2009

Verse and a Quote



Verse: "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." (Philippians 2:3)


Quote: "To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy, to inferiors nobleness.” Benjamin Franklin


Humility the one thing that once we think we have it, we have lost it. The whole idea of humility is to act in a way that sees others as more significant than ourselves. This is an area of the Christian walk I believe quite a few believers struggle. When we get criticized, our first reaction may be to defend ourselves or to act in anger like "that person knows nothing about they are talking about." Many people think, "if only you could spend one day in my shoes, boy, then your outlook would be different."

There are other places that humility is seen though, like, when we serve at church, do we see certain duties below us? Do we think that cleaning the bathrooms and taking out the trash is something that a new convert or someone who is new to the church should be doing? Do we think of ourselves as having ascended to a position that affords us ability to only serve in the choice positions at church?

How about in our homes? How do we model humility before our family, husbands, wives or roommates? Do we clean the house without being asked? Do we clean the dishes even if they are not ours? Do we take out the trash when it is full? Do we do all these things with a humble heart, not counting how many times we have done it in the past?

Humility is the act of putting all others above yourself. Humility is the ability to see a need and fill that need irregardless of your position at church or in the family or how much rent you pay. I find myself many times thinking to highly of myself and questioning why I have to be he one to do things. I tend to justify my thoughts by my position, my knowledge or if the act itself is below me. Humility can be a midst in our lives. In the morning before the sun hits it, it's everywhere, but when the sun comes out it burns off quickly. I pray that humility in my life would be evident to all around me and not evident to me.

Peace!

No comments: