August 4, 2009

Verse and a Quote



Verse: Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let those who fear the Lord say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” (Psalm 118:2-4)

Quote: “Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” C.S. Lewis


In a world in which you can not bank on anything, in a world where athletes break contracts daily, in a world where most people do not honor their word and in a world where people see love as ........well as Janet Jackson so aptly put it, "What have you done for me lately" we can rest assured that God's steadfast love abides. Our culture has misinterpreted love for this emotional feeling that gives you butterflies in the stomach and roses every other week. Our culture has taken love to be something measured by what people do for you, instead of what you do for them. Love has become something we fall in to and out of just like a person may change his clothes. I am so thankful that God is not that way.


Our God is described as having a "steadfast" love. The word steadfast here means enduring, long suffering and continual. God is described as having a love that forgives our sins. God is described as having such a great love that He sent His son to die for us. God is described as waiting for us to come to Him, He loves us that much.


As I meditated on this thought of steadfast love I couldn't help to think if I model my heavenly Father in that same steadfast love. Am I the type of person that forgives when people do not understand what I say and get angry? Am I the type of person that loves no matter what is going on in a persons life? Am I the type of Christian that loves sinners, hates sin and models Christ before those around me? For you see if I had this steadfast love that god is described to have in the above Psalm, the answer would be a resounding "Yes!"  As I meditated on these words that the psalmist wrote I couldn't help to feel like my love is deficient. I couldn't help to feel that I expect others to show love first so that I can return the favor. I couldn't help to think about what it would be like if our God loved the same way.


I pray that my love would emulate my father. I pray that my love would emulate Christ. I pray that my love would not shame the Gospel message.


Peace!

No comments: