August 3, 2009

Early Marriage: Are Christians Missing the Point?



Last week I read an article by Mark Regnerus from Christianity Today titled "The Case for Early Marriage". When I read this article my initial response was, "It's about time!" I have long thought that Christians put to much emphasis on the age you get married at instead of looking at the couples spiritual maturity and can they financially make it work. Now in that I want to clarify a few things that most Christians would say prove the point that these young couples should wait to get married.

First, by spiritual maturity I mean that the couple is growing in their relationship with our Lord and Savior, both individually and together. I mean that they both are active participants in the local church. They both are being discipled and are seeking to disciple those younger than them. In other words, they are walking the walk.

Second, by financial well being I do not mean the ability to purchase a home or condo. I do not mean the ability to afford a new car. I mean that they can support themselves and that they have a financial plan in place. I would be looking for their ability to think realistically about future events such as a baby, completing a degree or career plans than their ability to buy the perfect home in the perfect neighborhood.

My wife and I married when I was 20 and she was 21 and because of the grace of God and not the ages at which we got married, because of the grace of God and not our financial standing and because of the grace of
God and not someones fears about early marriage we will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on August 5th. I believe that many believers take God out of the equation of marriage and insert their experience or personal belief into the mix. We as believers need to look realistically at marriage and it's intent. We as believers need to be realistic with our children and the youth of our churches and realize we may be harming them more than helping them in making them wait till they are older to get married.

Another good article on this topic was published today by Dr. Albert Mohler, titled "The Case for (Early) Marriage". I hope more people see this topic in a new light.

Peace!

No comments: