May 8, 2008

Impact Your World


This morning as I was going through my morning routine I came across this article at CNN.com titled "Impact Your World". As a believer I was curious as to how a secular news site would instruct people impact their world. If it wasn't so early in the morning I probably would have guessed on my own, but I didn't. As the article came up it spoke of different organizations we can support that are going out and helping countries that are in need, like Myanmar. This is a good thing, I really don't want to criticize this method of assistance, but if you are a believer what are you doing to impact your world?

That is the question that nearly floored me this morning. Lately I have been struggling with the question, "Am I impacting my world or community......for Christ?" I think that we as believers should ask ourselves this question often. Thew question does not become is it better to help the cyclone victims of Myanmar or the beleaguered people of the United States that are currently struggling with gas prices, food and the possibility of losing their house. The question is am I doing anything? Providing people in need with the necessities of life is an open door to give them the necessity for eternal life.

Some of you as you read this are probably like me, asking yourself the following question: "How can I help, I have a full time job and a family. I have no time to give." The thing that I have come to realize is that we all have a missionary field and it is the one we live in everyday. Do you have co-workers? Do they know Christ? How about your neighbors, have you shared your faith with them? Listen believer I'm not saying to beat your co-workers over he head with scripture, but I am saying are you looking for the open doors God gives you?

Yesterday I read a friend's blog and he had written an article about how allowed fear to paralyze him when the Lord opened the door for him to share the Gospel. I believe that his blog describes us on most occasions that the open door comes. We are afraid of looking like freaks or fundamentalists or just plain religious. We put our own pride before our ability to share the best gift we have ever received with someone. On Monday I had to give my boss a Seminary referral sheet for him to fill out. I did not know how my boss was going to react so I was a bit afraid. When he took the evaluation and explained my intentions he began to ask questions about the bible and why I felt it was important to have this type of training. Open Door! For the next half hour I proceeded to explain the Gospel to him and I explained how my love for God and scripture had grown to the point where I felt I needed to educate myself so that I could teach, preach and train others. It was an opportunity that I did not expect to have, I'm glad the Lord gave me the courage not to miss it.

So how can we impact our world believer? First pray for it and second share the love of our Lord and the salvation we have through the cross. Call those around you to repentance and invite them to church with you. Be a living example of Christ's love.

No comments: